Friday, November 24, 2006

What I Am Thankful For...

If anyone lives(ed) in the Midwest, you know typical November weather. Well, this year Thanksgiving day was sunny and in the 50's (a rare occurrence). I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to take advantage of the great weather and run a few miles. I know I really shouldn't have because I should be taking it easy on my knees, but I have to say it was awesome. I went 4.5 miles, which was a compromise. Part of me really really wanted to keep going, but the logical part held me back. I set out to run 3 minimum and 4 maximum, but as I was running the distance goals kept stretching out before me. I wanted to run 5 and then 6, but I want to be able to run again in a few days so I negotiated with myself to run 4.5. My leg muscles were a little sore, but I haven't had the knee pain that I experienced last week (thankfully!). I was extremely happy to get out and run.

I find that my body is taking longer to fall into my easy stride. I feel like I am working longer than usual (this will just take a little time). What I can't figure out though, is that the top of my foot is still sore from my running shoes. I have tried switching to another pair of running shoes I have, changing the way that I tie my shoes, making sure the tongue of the shoe is laying across my foot, and different pairs of socks. I have no idea why the top of my foot keeps feeling 'bruised' when I am running. This has just occurred once the temperatures dropped, and I remember it happening last winter. The pain stays in one spot on only one foot, but doesn't hurt if I rub the top of my foot. I have searched the net and not found anything on this topic. What is going on?

1 Comments:

Blogger Texas Runner said...

Dear Running Fool,

I am responding to you Nov. 24, 2006 posting. Sorry this response comes so late. First I don't know anything about this site. I just stumbled onto it in an odd way, see below. I am desperate. I just keyed into google: "Shoe tying methods that keep shoe tounge from moving, 9/18/2007" I will write down this site an revisit to see if I see another post from you since your message was some time ago. If you are interested in talking about this problem we can figure out a way to exchange emails. Here is my story: In December 06 I bought three pairs of new Nike running shoes. One to wear on the tread mill and the others to bee bob around in. I had no problems with my feet before then. I am a former athelete and am trying to get back in shape so I had been walking on my treadmill all along. I put the new shoes on and after about two weeks I started to get a pain on the top of my left foot about four inches above my big toe. The tounge of my shoe was also sliding constantly no matter what I did and I'd have to pull it back about every three or fout minutes no matter how I tied the shoe. There was never any problem with the right shoe or right foot. After several months the pain started to increase and extend a little higheer up. I know it sounds stupid, but for six months I did not put it together that the shoe was casuing the pain. About two weeks ago I kind of figured out that it might be the shoe and that it may have caused a stress facture. I decided to go see a doctor and since my husband needed to see a podiatrist I went along with him. He did Xrays. It didn't show a fracture so he decided to do an MRI. The results are coming in next week. Meanwhile I changed shoes. I saw immediate improvement from the shoe change, but am not pain free yet. I think it's mostly because I have some healing to do in my foot because I might have done some damage that needs to heel. With the bad shoe I was walking 60 minues a day at a good clip with pain. The first time I wore the new shoe I was able to incorportate a 20 minute run into the 60 minutes without much pain. That tells me something. In the mean time, podiatrist wants to give me orthodics, but I am not convinced yet. I think it's the shoes, not my feet, especially since there is no problem with my right foot and even more now that I have seen your posting.
The doctor says I have a high arch and a rigid foot.

Let me know if you have found any further information about this type of foot pain. In the mean time I have kept the shoe if you stil have yours, if you want to compare regarding a defect.

Thanks!

Texas Runner

September 18, 2007 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • "It is never too late to be what you might have been." ~George Eliot