Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Falling Behind In My Postings

I survived the Chicago Marathon!

The weather was not ideal this year, but I couldn't back out of the race just because it was windy and might rain. It was a challenge mentally because I had anticipated running with my training partner, and she backed out that morning when I got to her house. I had visualized running the race with her, and had to quickly adjust to the idea of running the marathon solo. I began the race and told myself that if I truly wanted to back out after the half-marathon point I could. However, for the first time in three years, I had a big turn out of family members who came to support me. I was so surprised considering the weather conditions (I still don't understand why the race was pushed back to the end of October this year) and past involvement. I ended up finishing the marathon literally because of my family. I had to keep running to the next spot where they were waiting - if I dropped out and left them waiting for nothing, I feared that they wouldn't ever come out to support me for a race again. They had made signs, ran a little with me and were so excited to be there! I won't ever forget this race because their being there meant so much to me. Physically, the bottoms of my feet cramped up so horribly for the last couple of miles though. I need to figure out what happened there - I was told that I needed to stretch out my calves and feet more? Has anyone ever experienced this?

I then went on vacation for three weeks - good way to rest and incorporate lots of walking! Now I am back to cross training and strengthening. My endurance has suffered a little bit - I actually feel a strain. I am hoping to get out for a few runs this week. I am really getting jittery, but my jet lag has got me all out of wack. I think I am also nervous about testing out my feet - I fear that there will still be pain after a few miles. There is only one way to find out...

1 Comments:

Blogger Laurel said...

Good job on the marathon! Glad to see you made it through in one piece. And how great that your family came out in full force to support you!

November 19, 2006 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • "It is never too late to be what you might have been." ~George Eliot