Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Trying To Get Back On Track

I always find new ways to be amazed at the level of dedication it requires to run. I can be in pain, but I work through the pain in order to get myself back to running. Part of me is always wondering why. The other part of me has resigned to recognizing that it takes a certain level of crazy to subject one's self to this, and that I happen to be in possession of this particular level of insanity.

I went out for my first run last Friday. I went a modest five miles. The next day I noticed that my legs were sore and my knee a little tender. Well, when I was doing some dips at the gym later that day I noticed that my knee was also very swollen. How did this happen again? So, I have spent the past week lifting weights - trying to build up my quads, working on flexibility and boosting my endurance again by hitting the elliptical and stationary bike. The problem is, I need to blast away this curry fat that accumulated over my vacation to India, and I know that running is one of the quickest ways to do so.

I ventured out again today - I ran two miles to the gym, did some ab strengthening, and then ran two miles back home. So far so good. The knee hasn't been as bothersome, but I am icing and taking it easy for good measure. I would have liked to have signed up for a Turkey Trot, but I didn't want to take the chance in paying and not being able to run. Perhaps if I feel adventurous I will strap on the running shoes for a few conservative miles tomorrow morning so I don't feel I am missing out on anything.

When I am running and find a groove, it does feel really good to be back on the roads. I miss having the time to think, and the level of mental alertness that I have found only running can bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • "It is never too late to be what you might have been." ~George Eliot